Anyway, if you live or work in San Francisco, please consider contacting Brittany Steers (bsteers..
And if you can't make it yourself, please consider referring your running friends to this article and call for participation.
A few details on the study:
- Requires to have been running for the past 18 months
- The time commitment for most participants so far has been ~3 hours, and includes 4 visits to the San Francisco State University Exercise Physiology Lab.
- Visits 1 and 2 are 48 hours apart.
- Two weeks later you will come in for Visit 3.
- Visit 4 is 48 hours after Visit 3.
- Brittany provides all the compression and placebo socks for the study. She is looking for any runners or multisport athletes that have been running for at least 18 months. They will be filling out an exercise history questionnaire during their first visit so that she knows what type of athletes she is getting in this study.
- Additionally, pre-test instructions before visits 1 and 3:
- Not to complete any race effort workouts or time trials the week before each experimental procedure
- Not to exercise, consume alcohol, or take any NSAIDs for at least 24 hours before experimental procedure (Bushra & Aslam, 2010)
- Not to consume caffeine for 3 hours before the experiment
- To have a normal diet the day of test
- To drink at least 500mL of water the day of test
- The lab is on the San Francisco State University campus, near Lake Merced, at 1600 Holloway Avenue in San Francisco.