Friday, December 30, 2016

A bit of winter cross-training

I certainly admit that cross-training is excellent for fitness conditioning but I'm not a big adept, preferring to focus on running and get significant training and racing volume. As a matter of fact, the only time I switch to another exercise activity is when I'm injured. That consists mostly in stationary biking, elliptical, stairmaster, easy walking and some weight lifting.

Anyway, I'm just back from a 3-day break in Tahoe and three opportunities for winter cross-training: cross-country skiing at Royal Gorge, snowshoeing above Incline Village and alpine skiing at Mt Rose. Not surprisingly, cross-country skiing is the activity which has been the most demanding and left my legs the most sore. Since I'm racing 6 hours this Saturday, I'm glad I got that out of the way on Tuesday to get rid of the soreness.


Snowshoeing is a great aerobic exercise but is closer to hiking so it more or less activates the same muscles as in hill running.
As for downhill skiing, it all depends on the intensity. While the weather was warm and sunny, there wasn't enough snow to work hard. Besides, I passed my times of speeding up and risking breaking a leg, something which never happened so far and I'd rather avoid with my passion for running. But we had a great time on Mt Rose's slopes, especially as there wasn't any crowd at all, something surprising in the middle of the Holidays.


Unfortunately, with her recent hip replacement, Agnès couldn't be with us. Otherwise, amazing opportunity to spend these three days with the three boys, a blessing to have them all at home for 10 days. Not sure when the next time will be, let's enjoy this previous family time and present moment, and I hope you too had such great time over the Holidays.

PS: 2 paradisiac views of Lake Tahoe from our bedroom



No comments: