Sunday, April 9, 2023

Cupertino's Big Bunny Fun Run 5K: in and out

I was really excited by the prospect of running this local race again, literally one block from my house, can't get any closer! I've had a good run at that event, even winning it at least once: 16:54 in 2002, 16:50 in 2004, 16:06 in 2005, 16:33 in 2006, 16:09 in 2007, 15:54 in 2008, 16:39 in 2010 and 16:20 in 2013. That's like 16:24 +/- 30", quite consistent. To be fair, the course is on the short side, that helps getting great time. But at least the course hasn't changed so that makes for a good local benchmark.


It happens on Easter Saturday so the date varies significantly over the years. Sometimes it conflicted with the Boston Marathon, others, with American River 50-mile, or international business trips or family plans. This year, I could make it, cool! Because my focus is mostly ultra running nowadays, I decided to go to the track on Monday evening for some speed work and faster pace testing. I had run the hilly Redwoods 50K on Saturday and 15 recovery kilometers on Sunday. At the Cupertino High School track, I saw the boy's Coach and chatted about his involvement to salvage the Track & Field program, at least on the running side. It was chilly at the end of the day (6 pm), so I went on to do a few 400s. I felt reassured that I could still break 1:30 for each lap and decided to keep going until I couldn't. There was some strong breeze coming from the North which was making the last turn feel like running uphill. Good training.

After 6 laps, I was able to hit 1:25 for the remaining of the laps. Hamstrings were getting tighter though so I stopped after 12 laps. I was going to jog two more laps before running back home (another mile) but had to slog the last lap as a sharp pain fired in my left calf. Dang, I came back home walking...

I took the rest of the week off but did some solid strength training on Thursday: leg press, leg curls and abs. So much that I was quite sore on Friday, and still Saturday morning, to the point couldn't assess precisely the calf injury. I was so tempted to sign up on Saturday morning but that wasn't reasonable, too much risk for limited rewards. And the entry fee made the decision even easier ($56 for 3 miles, that's one of the most expensive races around!). The last thing I needed was to push too hard to keep up with the leaders and worsen the injury.




But I still went to the start as a running buddy, Jason, was coming to town. Not just to run that 5K but as a prelude to a 10K orienteering race in Sunnyvale 3 hours later.


Also from Excelsior, Jon Kimura, 42, took second place while Jason finished 4th.


Andres Chau, 26, from Fremont won in 15:57.


Jason confirmed he felt the course was on the short side.


Here with the Cupertino Mayor, as excited as a bunny this Saturday, pumping her bunny ears up and down! ;-) 



Impressive was to see the smaller kids finishing strong. Two 12 year-old finished in 20:57 and 21:03, immediately followed by a 9 year-old in a blazing 21:06, wow! All results accessible on SVE Timing's website.

Our friend and neighbor Fari, volunteering once more, attentive to any medical need with this crowd including many first-time runners.




Overall, I ran 2.5 miles around and across the course to take pictures at 4 spots, barely making it on time back to the to City Hall to see the first runners cross the line. Calf felt almost ok although it was definitely the best decision not to get tempted to push the pace, racing. After that I did ran to Sunnyvale as well, and back, logging a half marathon. I'd better take another week off to keep the calf healing completely before Woodside/Purisima Crossover Half next week, and the rest of the Spring season. Big Bunny 5K will have to wait another year then...


No comments: