Friday, July 3, 2020

Running in Wyoming: Grand Teton National Park


Grand Teton National Park touches Yellowstone yet it's hard to imagine so much difference. If Yellowstone is all about fumes coming from boiling water under the surface, Grand Teton contrasts by its peaks, with 34 of them culminating at more than 11,000 feet!

From Jackson we drove to Teton Village and Phelps Lake in the morning, then Jenny Lake, and a hike to Taggart and Bradley Lakes. I told you in the previous post, we make the most of the time we have!

I did run up and down Death Canyon, passing along Lake Phelps.

Lake Phelps lookout:
 Touching the snow!
 At the Alaska Basin Trail junction

 This marmot was so social!

 Back at the car


In this Strava trace, you'll notice a major bug of my Garmin GPS watch which got me flying over a mountain. I only wish...
I included a few pictures in this 3D flyover (click on this link or the picture below):
Only 9 miles but it reminded me so much of the Alps with the breathtaking views, the varied vegetation and terrain, and technical sections, I highly recommend this route for quite a workout. I was super careful on the way down but stupidly twisted my ankle in the very last easier section, just before getting back to the trail head. No cracks but quite painful this Thursday evening. Fortunately, we don't have any big hike planned for tomorrow. We were supposed to visit another National Park tomorrow, on the Idaho side, Craters of the Moon but opted to stop by a friend in Salt Lake City instead. The ankle should appreciate the 6-hour drive instead! ;-)

Speaking of (Facebook) friends, I was hoping to run a few strides with local running legend, Lisa Smith-Batchen (e.g. 10 time Bad Water including 2 wins), but she was working all day today. I was looking forward to the encounter and another #RunningBuddyTourism opportunity like the last minute meetings with Mike Wardian then Mark Godale, I will have to come back and try again!

Both Yellowstone and Grand Teton are spectacular, yet so different. If it was a popularity contest, my love for the mountains would place Grand Teton to the top of the 7 National places we visited these past 7 days. Our heads are fulled of wonderful images, as well as our cameras! And, again, we know we rushed these visits way too much, still, what an enriching cross-country road trip experience until we have more time to come back! Maybe include some biking on the many miles of pristine bike paths across the park, more runs and hikes definitely, and some rafting? We can't let these bears having all the fun, can we?


No comments: