Sunday, May 31, 2020

Big ultra reopening day tomorrow: with a purpose


Many times, I wish I could write my mind to issue posts faster. This is one which formed in my mind through the week and, here we are, Sunday May 31, 2020, 4 pm, on the day our local San Clara County Shelter in Place order was supposed to come to an end, at least with the most restrictive phase 1, only to receive a last minute notice to... remain in place! I was going to say "dang" but, honestly, I'm so grateful that our County was the first one to take such a measure, in the whole US, I very much do trust what our health officials are recommending.

If you follow my blog, you know I pledged to stop boasting about running, to avoid increasing the feeling of many that they are finally missing so much by staying home. Not the right time for the masses to get on the same trail at the same time, we already tried in March... Because our order was already reissued once, and the situation looked much better health wise, I didn't expect it would be a third time, and with so many stringent restrictions. And I had formed big plans again in my head, ultra plans! To be honest, I didn't stop running during the past 2 months, just stopped talking about it and connecting my Garmin to Strava. For one thing, it hasn't been super interesting running, mostly slow miles in my neighborhood as I'm still painfully coming back from this 2018 injury and a 7-month break in the second half of 2019.

Last weekend was Memorial Day weekend. A weekend which became special for running many many miles in memory of the fallen, a few in my family, and many more from around the world. A weekend which marked the peak of my ultra and heat training before Western States for instance. Sometimes logging more than 125 hilly miles over the 3-day weekend. Last year, it was actually the first weekend of the break I took to heal my tendon injury after a semi-successful half ultra season. And I was happy to finally not lot a single mile!

This year, I had hoped of logging 100K over the three days. Pale comparison but I feel I'm coming back from so far away, I had to rebuild with the proper goals. The thing is that, while the injury fades away at last, I'm going through so much stress at work that I have had serious breathing issues. You might have missed too that I'm not sure if I got COVID-19 myself back in February when I came back from a conference after losing my voice and with a super dry cough which lasted a good week (after visiting France, Austria and Israel the weeks before, three countries which closed borders soon after I left...). No fever though and I was able to compete and win my age group at the 50K Road Nationals in freezing air on March 1 in New York, and same at Paulo's 50-mile trail Nationals 2 weeks later, so I'm really not sure if that lung condition is a reminiscence from that lung imflamation episode, or stress-induced asthma again. The good news though is that, while that makes me stop in the first mile or two even if I start at a slow 8 min/mile pace, this usually pass afterward so I was able to run a few training ultra runs these past months.

So, last weekend, as I was struggling again on one of these runs, I couldn't stop thinking of a couple of friends, Bob and Annick, who are both battling very serious cancers, on the other side of the country. Bob is from Great Britain and exemplifies the legendary humor and phlegm of that nation. It must be in the air they breath when growing up! I'm so impressed and moved by the optimistic way he still handles the situation, even as he has been sent back home with some light hospice care support. As for Annick, so much on her shoulders, mentally and literally, while she also has to split her energy to fight her own battle against this terrible health situation.

I wanted to share about them because, this Monday, I'm planning on running 100 miles in their honor, and I would like you to join me, in thoughts and, either in prayers or at least to send them the best vibes of courage and hope.

The idea formed as Paulo Medina launched his 100 miles to Auburn race, a virtual event for which you have a month to log miles against various goals(*), the ultimate one being the more than symbolic 100.2 miles corresponding to the legendary Western Sates Endurance Run. Western States has been run every last weekend of June since 1974 (albeit not in 2008, one of the fire years). Can I run 100 miles over a month? I missed that mark in January, but, after averaging 100K per week for 8 years (2011-2018) I've been back to 80-100K weeks since February. So, yes, I can! But can I run 100 miles in a day in my neighborhood, on my own, without any competition or racing incentive? This, I don't know, never tried it before!

Coincidentally, I did attend our District 101 Toastmasters Conference this weekend and one of the keynote speaker, Ryan Avery, 2012 World Champion of public speaking, reminded us of this key mantra: "It's not because you haven't, that you cannot!" At least I've run 100 miles, and more, a couple of time. And on hilly terrain too, while I plan on running my local flat 5K loop 36 times, this time. Granted, all on concrete, which comes with its own challenge on the legs, but still. At least, I should avoid last week's heat wave which peaked around 98F already! Weather forecast gives a 60-80F for this Monday. In true 100-mile spirit, I still plan on starting very early, around 4 am, in case I need a full day to cover that distance. Assuming the body and minds hold on, which hasn't been my strength lately. As the expression goes, Inshallah!

At a minimum, building on the Pentecost theme, I'm hoping that running in spirit and communion with Bob and Annick will keep me moving forward, slowly and consistently. I promised them 1 mile each, 50 times each and, that, if not all of them on Monday, Tuesday will be another day. Again, I very much hope that you will join me in sending them a maximum of positive vibes! On their behalf, thank YOU in advance!

See you on Facebook this Monday then for a few updates. Short of an official reopening unfortunately, I'll keep complying with our local Shelter-in-Place order by exercising on my own and without taking the car to go to the start!

PS: incidentally, Wednesday is Global Running Day, so that run may elect. But please plan on celebrating that special occasion to log a few miles too!

(*) 30.3 miles = Robinson Flat Medal -- 62 miles = Foresthill Medal -- 100.2 miles = 100 miles to Auburn wood buckle.

No comments: