Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day training weekend 2016: time flies

I still have amazing memories of the high and hilly mileage I was able to put on Memorial Day weekend: my first and only official Western States Memorial Day training weekend in 2007126 miles in 2008, 122 and 28,000 ft of cumulative elevation in 2009! In 2010, work interfered and I was only able to train for 2 days. In 2011, it was a few graduation parties getting in the way and the lack of a big 100-mile goal to prepare for. In 2012, I was in Dubai for work, so no training weekend. 2014 saw me running 87 laborious miles over that weekend to mark a modest return to the tradition. And I couldn't keep the tradition going last year (2015) because of Agnes' Mom's passing.

With that, what was in store for this year? Well, certainly not as much excitement as for many of my friends meeting at the Western States training run again. I'm in Tahoe Rim Trail 100-mile again and, after dropping twice (@62 miles in 2014 and 50 miles in 2015), I'd better finish this year! Yet, it's 7 weeks so, after 3 big races just completed this May, it seems a bit distant. Besides, between the post-stroke doubts bouncing in my mind and some heavy stress at work, I knew I hadn't in me to put as much as my 2008 or 2009 weekends. I was just hoping to run 3 good ultras over the weekend...

On Saturday, since I had only taken one day off training after Ohlone, I thought of starting easy with 33.2 flat miles, going from my house to Winchester Avenue along the track and back, twice. Well, I might have started a bit fast, I had to stop twice on the second out and back to cool off in the shade, although it was only 88F. I used to get better heat acclimated at the end of May, maybe it was a blessing after all that the weather was cool at Ohlone last weekend...
After this bonking experience, I even hesitated to go for an ultra on Sunday. I went along the track again (Joe's trail through Saratoga, then Campbell), and, on the way back, had the joy to run into Rajeev who was also going for some heat training. Rajeev asked me how far I was going and I replied "for about 17 to 20 miles." After stopping by the house after 17 miles and getting a few ice cubes in my hat and my bottles, I ended up finding the guts to do a few loops in my neighborhood for a total of 27.6 miles. Barely an ultra for Andy Jones-Wilkins, but still technically one. Including a 3:12 marathon on the way!
This Monday, after starting my two previous runs after 10 am and running in the peak of the heat, I decided to go for some elevation but start much earlier. I left the house at 7 am and the temperature was not even 60F, what a difference! Of course, the temperature kept rising but there was more shade on Montebello Road thanks to the early hour. I ran to the summit of Black Mountain via waterwheel (tiny dripping, but enough to cool my head down). While I was about a minute per mile slower than my usual pace on that climb, I was glad I didn't walk any section. I did stop at the back pack camping area to refill my bottles and saw 2 groups of campers packing (there are 5-6 camping sites up there, so close to the city, yet they are rarely used).

I went down Bella Vista trail, and even had the guts to climb back up to the camp for another loop in the heat. Again, at a slow pace, but without any walking. And I was also happy for having had the guts to go back up again! Now, after this exposed 3-mile loop, I was glad to plunge in the shady Canyon Trail along a much active Stevens Creek. It has been a few years since I've seen so much water flowing through this canyon, especially at the very end of May. I stopped at every creek crossing to cool down, that reminded me of runs in the Alps where we crossed creeks flowing down from melting glaciers. Well, no glaciers of course here, but it's great to get all these creeks still running this year. I came back on the Stevens Creek Canyon Road, quite busy this Monday with cars and bikes, then the REI trail along the Stevens Creek Reservoir, whose level is going down quite fast but still provides great opportunities to kayak or paddle board. 32.4 miles and 4,700 cumulative elevation, a slightly worthier ultra run at last! And no bonking!
Just above 90 miles for the three days, some good heat training at last, but still so much hill work needed before TRT. I'm going to spend a few days in Chamonix second half of June, that should help. Hopefully...

I know from Facebook that many had a blast on the Western States course over the weekend. I hope others enjoyed this weekend too, either to work hard or relax, and remember who we owe this weekend to: our Veterans and active duty military.

PS: sorry, no pictures from the amazing wild flowers blooming this year. White, blue, purple, orange, yellow, an amazing year for the local flora!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you go from the tracks all the way to Winchester? Isn't there a part after Quito Road (around where Rolling Hills Middle School is) where there is a wall that blocks you from going further on the tracks?

Jean Pommier said...

There is not a trail per se along the track between Joe's Trail in Saratoga and Winchester, but ample room to run, and no wall to cross. As for after the Winchester crossing, I couldn't find a safe way to run along the track.