Sunday, December 11, 2022

Running in Barcelona: Carretera de les Aigües, or Barcelona's balcony

This run on Thursday night was more interesting than the previous ones, either around Barça's stadium, or on Diagonal Avenue. First, because that wasn't at all what I was expecting and I ended up discovering a very nice running place above Barcelona. Second because I had not thought of taking the headlamp I had brought with me on this trip and ended up running a few miles using the light of my iPhone. While it worked out, headlamps exist for good reasons!


Still staying near the Spotify Camp soccer stadium, and not having much time at the end of a very long work day, I looked at the shortest path to get to the mountains surrounding Barcelona. Well, 2 miles in and I could barely hike up a tricky trail as the daylight was quickly dimming. Although I was hoping to climb much higher, I almost turned back because of the darkness when I found a very runnable and reasonably lit trail. With some markings which seem to indicate this could go for a few kilometers: jackpot!




As you can see on the profile, this trail is completely flat, just winding along the convoluted profile of the mountain and offering amazing views of Barcelona at every corner. Despite the late hour and darkness, I wasn't alone between a few other runners, cyclists or folks walking their dog.

Chamonix has 4 such panoramic trails: its Petit Balcon Sud and Nord, and Grand Balcon Sud and Nord but they aren't flat like this one. And for those who have followed my blog for a while, you've heard about the numerous Fat Ass runs I did on Les Balcons de Rouen in Normandy. I'm very happy to have found this Balcon de Barcelone, I like taking some elevation when visiting! I highly recommend it for the panoramic views of the city then!

Here is a Relive.cc flyover of my last run of 4 during this busy trip to Barcelona (get to the video by clicking on the link or the image below):


See you again soon, dear Barna!

PS: more information on this Road of the Waters (literally) in this post from Barcelona Lowdown.













No comments: