Sunday, September 13, 2026

Stevens Creek Striders Reservoir Trail Half: love that home run and challenge!

I've fallen more than a dozen blog posts behind this year, including a handful of race reports, let's see if I can get back to a same day race report for a big change!

Being in Cupertino, this is the second closest race from home I've ran this year. Not quite as in my backyard as the Big Bunny 5K, but just 3 miles away. A dear place in my heart as I got acquainted to trail running on these Stevens Creek Reservoir trail, upon joining the Stevens Creek Striders 25 years ago! So, yes, feeling rather at home there. Here is the banner displayed at the Western States 100 Last Chance aid station which the club has been manning for 45 years ! (I've been the aid station captain in 2006 and the following two years while also running Western States in 2007, getting the bug from volunteering there in 2004 and 2005.)


This is the 5th of our 6 races in our USATF Pacific Association Short MUT Grand Prix (MUT standing for 3 sports, 3 different forms of running: Mountain, Trail and Ultra). Our final race will be Excelsior's Star City San Bruno Half Marathon in 3 weeks.



I frequently run the 3 miles up to the reservoir from home, on my way to Black Mountain, but, being a race, I drove. It was my 3rd participation, after running in 2022 (1:58:32) and 2023 (2:02:15). And I'm glad I document my races in this blog and my running log because...


The part I didn't like much was when we were rushing down gnarly switchbacks (above), just after the start. Just before the start this year, I went down that part of the course to see if they would have at least remove a dangerous trunk narrowing the single track trail. At least that had been cleared.



However, after the nice traditional pre-race group picture (above, photo credit Michael Dhuey), everybody started walking away from the start area I was familiar with. We walked down the steep road which we used to finish on, toward an area which was certainly much wider and safer. And Stuart assured me that I must have started from there before. Well, Robert, the RD, told me at the finish that it was the second year since they had implemented that course change. At least I wasn't having a senior moment, phew! ;-)


By the way, great participation from our Pacific Association teams today: Pamakids dominating in numbers of course, and a great show from my teammates of Quicksilver for a good change, then Lake Merritt, Tamalpa, Excelsior and even West Valley Track Club!




It was a fast start at the front, I settled in 20-25 position, you have to respect both the distance, and your own years... (Photo credit: Michael Dhuey.)



Our Grand Prix scorer, David Moulton, passed me in the third mile, and I traded places with a couple of other runners until the turnaround on Canyon Trail. I crossed the lead runner just after passing the Vista Point, which meant I was already a good mile behind by mile 4, yikes!

With that out and back format, it was cool to see everybody. Carrying bottles, I didn't stop at the second aid station and gained another spot. The temperature was raising but, thankfully, nothing to compare with the heat wave we experienced 2 days ago. Besides, that section was still in the shade, up to Inspirational Point.

I didn't stop at the third aid station either, on Coyote Ridge, where I-Tao (Tsai) was and took these pictures.



I felt I had a decent descent down to Seven Springs, yet not super fast, so I was surprised to see David again at the bottom of the loop. I passed him and another runner on the way up back to Coyote Ridge, crossing I-Tao again on his training run turning to a photo safari!


No stop either at the fourth aid station, trying to save precious seconds before flying down Coyote Ridge. I passed the 2-hour mark with 1.1 miles to go, so long for that aggressive sub-2 goal. I kept pushing gently but I have to say that the final gasp up on these last switchbacks we once used to start on, is brutal.

I finished with a time of 2:10:42, 16th overall, but 1st M60 at least. (Photo credit: Michael Dhuey.)


94 finishers in the half marathon, including 5 in the 70+ age groups, inspiring! Beck Johnstone, 25, of San Francisco and West Valley Track Club, won the race in 1:46:40 (he was the defending champion, clocking 1:39:06 last year). He made it look completely effortless even in the uphills, quite impressive! At 45, Megan Hansen (Tamalpa) won the women division in 2:07:00.

Our Quicksilver Men took 9th (Stuart), 14th and 19th (Luciano). Not bad for 50+ and 60+ year young guys, no? ;-)


I found the marking to be excellent once you got used to check flags instead of the usual ribbons. Perfect organization with in particular so many course monitors and runner tracking at key intersections and turns. I can't comment on what was available at aid station, not having made any stop, but it's great to have 4 passages on such a hilly and challenging trail half. Also a great bonus for offering freshly cooked burgers and a range of soft drinks. Great picnic area with ample seating and tables, including some in the shade (so nice that we had to share the space with hungry and annoying yellow jackets!). Love the unique touch of giving each participant a succulent to bring back home. And the useful sample of Squirrel's Nut Butter anti-chaffing. Kudos too for the prompt posting of race results --manually tabulated, mind you-- in the afternoon. As well as hundreds of pictures taken by Michael Dhuey. A low key community-friend race overall with a demanding course and all the perks of a professionally-organized events!

Well done, Robert, Mandie and all the Striders, way to represent our Cupertino trail running community!



PS: speaking of the inspiring 70+ old gang, here is one runner barely showing his age by displaying a souvenir from the 80s and 90s, a singlet from one of the most influential and original clubs of our local community, Bay Area Ultra Runners (Dolphin South End just celebrated 60 years, that's another historical piece). Steve Jaber, from Tamalpa!


As far of a same-day race report, I wrote most of it by dinner time this Saturday but the addition of pictures had to wait one more day, to make room for a couple of family events... Almost there, I'll now get back to my backlog!

No comments: