Saturday, November 5, 2022

CTR's Lake Chabot 50K: come back, continued

Our local Mountain, Ultra, Trail Grand Prix is over for 2022 but it doesn't mean we can't still have fun outside this circuit. As a matter of fact, quite a few local runners enjoyed a long run at Rio Del Lago 100, or even their inaugural 50K, this week-end. Even with an extra hour as we change time on Sunday morning.

With my win at Coastal Trail Runs' SF One Day 12-hour early July, I got a generous race credit which I had to use this Fall. I was initially hoping to get back on Mt. Diablo but ended up on this closer familiar ground, Lake Chabot (start of Scena Performance's Skyline 50K and Dick Collins Firetrails 50-mile). Albeit in such a different weather than August as it was in turn foggy, then drizzling, then overcast.


This was quite an interesting event in many aspects. Despite a crowd of almost 500 entrants, it seemed like a completely different community than the one I meet at Grand Prix events. First, there was only one ultra distance. The others were 5K, 8K, half-marathon, marathon and 30K. Co-RD, Wendel, admitted that Running for a Better Oakland (RBO) had brought about 100 new runners, what an amazing positive impact on local youths. Thanks to learning about this organization from Christine Chapon, I've supported it for several years, please consider as well (1-click donation)! Christine paced RBO's Executive Director, Diane Leon, for her first 50K, breaking 7 hours. Also on the pictures, Byron McGovern, RBO Program Director.


Photo credit: Christine Chapon.


I saw long-time CTR volunteer/runner, Marissa Walker but I think that was it for the runners I knew today. Yet, one more strange connection. Last night I was at a jazz concert at the Harker School, where Agnès teaches French. At the intermission, I met one of Robin Mill's friends, Michelle, and her husband, Roberto. When I mentioned I was running a 50K the next day, they asked which one, and we chuckled when realizing that they would be manning the first aid station this Saturday morning. What a gift to have volunteers so knowledgeable: Michelle has just placed 4th at the Moab 240-mile race last month, she knows a few things on running long!


With these social encounters, and a few last-minute pictures, I almost missed the start!





At least I forgot to switch my GPS on, I missed almost a mile in the recording. And I also missed how fast we started. With so many different distances starting at once, and all these runners I didn't know, it was really hard to figure out a good pace and who was running what. I settled around 10th-12th position. In the steep climb on Live Oak Trail, miles 3 to 4, I got passed by a 50K runner. He was so strong in the uphill, I thought I'd never see him again. At the finish I learned that was Adelaido Solis and that he even ran Quicksilver 100K, finishing just a few spots behind me. However, after zipping through the Marciel Road aid station, waving to Michelle and Roberto, I ended up catching up with him a mile or so in the following downhill. I slowed down to stay behind Adelaido until the out and back checkpoint, after mile 7. After grabbing my first rubber band, I did pass Adelaido on that flat section, knowing we'll have another hill to climb up to the Clyde Woolridge aid station at mile 8.6. Sure enough, Adelaido passed me on that hill but, this time, and thanks to the energy boost after taking my first GU gel, I stayed closed behind. Then, going faster in the downhills, I built some gap on the way back to the Marina.


I didn't stop there, and Christine caught this action shot on the way. I was actually able to push the pace, hoping to preserve the gap as long as possible before our second climb to Marciel Road. Which I managed to reach first, even before any other marathon runner. With that mental boost, I even clocked faster miles on the second loop, with a 6:45 instead of 7:05 on Brandon, then another sub 7 on the West Shore. I didn't see any other 50K runner on the out and back so, this time, I did stop for one minute at the aid station at the Marina. That made for 3:26 at the marathon mark.

Time to get on the final 5-mile loop. Still some climb on the Cameron Loop Trail but nothing like the one on Live Oak. And 4 miles of rolling asphalt. On my way back, with 1.5 miles to go, I crossed Adelaido. That made for a 2-mile gap now. But still no sign of the lead woman whom we crossed on the first out and back at mile 7.5, meaning that she was just a few hundreds yards behind us. That was Kathrine Song and, sure enough, she was less than 5 minutes behind me on the Cameron Loop, for a close finish!

I finished in 4:06:52 and she took 2nd overall with a time of 4:11:30, improving Beverley Anderson-Abbs' previous record of 2019 (4:17:24). On the men side, I'm not sure if the course has changed. Our own Quicksilver Marc Laveson had run 3:32:43 in 2013, but Bob Shebest is credited for his 2017 win in 3:47:35, with Brandon Piechowski running 4:01 last year. In any event, my finish time was a good one for a baby boomer. And another good sign of progress on my journey back after this 3.5-year injury. With the glutes still needing more work/strengthening.

With Kathrine (who was, per her coaching plan from Devon Yanko, not supposed to race today, but only run 28 miles; close enough achievement! ;-) ).


And our local Aussie elite, Verity Breen who won the marathon (we share the same age bracket, and we both agree that winning races at our age is really cool, when the elite youngsters don't show up or are too busy at the Trail and Mountain World championships this weekend in Thailand! ;-) ).


With Adelaido (2nd with 4:33) and Cavin Miller (3rd in 4:45).


Long chat with Wendell as well. In particular around his upcoming Paris-Brest-Paris, a 750-mile bike race in France, next August. Way to push the endurance limits when running isn't recommended. Under 84 hours, that's a long endeavor!

I'm really pleased with my fueling strategy. Still using Vespa and OFM as the base, I used 4 GU gels, strategic carbs especially to keep a good pace in the climbs. Plus three S!Caps and 1 bottle and a half of GU Brew. And only one banana otherwise (versus the three Verity was carrying at the start!).

Again, I was amazed to discover such a community of new faces. And a wide range of speed. All that showing even more strength of our running ecosystem, post pandemic. I was also amazed by how efficient Coast Trail Runs is to run such a large size event with so few volunteers, when you compare with the thousand of volunteers at Wester States for fewer participants. First time I see lanes marked this way for bib pick-up!


And look at this 6-way or 6-line safety pin station! If only our supply chains were run so efficiently...


I also liked how the bibs had color for each distance as well as a clear separation of numbers (e.g. blue and 5xxx for 50K, orange and 4xxx for the 42K, 3xxx for the 30K, 2xxx for the 21K). Smart and convenient.

And, with that demonstration of efficiency, even bigger kudos to these volunteers who allowed all of us, a few hundred runners, to test and push our limits, while they had to endure the humidity for so many hours today! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

While I had to assist the oldest runner getting on the out and back, on my second loop, and found one 30K runner running the Cameron Loop in the wrong direction, this wasn't for the lack of perfect course markings and directions. Overall, a low key and friendly event perfectly managed. I look forward to the two CTR events we have on our Grand Prix schedule in 2023: Crystal Spring Half Marathon mid January, and SF One Day 24-hour, mid June. I invite the runners of this CTR community to join USATF to get points in our series too! A series which gives as many points for half marathons than 50Ks!



Bonus... a few rubber bands to complement the Strava proof! ;-)


PS: 74th 50K race, and ultra race finish #166; one race at a time, one step at a time, it feels good to be moving forward again, and see so many others racing as well!

No comments: