Sunday, March 13, 2022

Back to Black Mountain, again: carried by the Ukrainians' spirit and their Black Sea

Last week I finally pulled myself up to Black Mountain again, phew! 2002 marked the first time I dared to explore our local little summit, a fate for me back then when I was carefully testing the waters of trail running. Since, I went back a total of 125 times! During my peak seasons 5-10 years ago, I would run up there at least twice a month. But, still recovering from the hamstring tendon injury, I visited only once since May 2020, last August.

Last week I couldn't help myself not to worry and be inspired by the valorous Ukrainians fighting for their lives and freedom. When I was thinking of their courage, I could keep running the uphills; as soon as I was realizing the impossible task they face, I had to walk. Talk about mental strength and weakness...

This Saturday, I decided to make a stronger statement by wearing their colors. And immediately thought of getting into my box of Boston collectibles and souvenirs. See for yourself the perfect yellow and blue top, 2019 edition. As for the short, I had to get to the bottom of my drawers to unearth an old RaceReady royal blue one.

While I was at it, I extended both the runs with the waterwheel trail plus a loop on the other side of Black Mountain (going down on Bella Vista and back up to Black Mountain on the steep Indian Creek) for a total of 31.1 miles (50K). Although the pre-injury speed isn't back yet, I have to admit that the injury isn't bothering me know, I've start working again on my glutes, hamstring and quads at the gym in the office where I got back this week. It still bothers me to run that slow but having some trail running sensations and joys back is uplifting! And thinking of these Ukrainian fighters help put things into perspective, forget about the discomfort, embrace the efforts and appreciate the gifts we have and too often take for granted.

An opportunity to give you an update on the area, especially with regard to hydrology. First, the Stevens Creek Reservoir isn't empty but so low for March. Since the big rain fall of the last 2 days of December, all January and most of February didn't bring a single drop. While the spell got broken a few weeks ago, there was barely enough rain to wash our cars.

As you can see on the picture below, the container of the kayak rentals is so off the water and it's not going to open before May anyway. Poor guy! (Click on the picture to see the annotations.)

There is some water flowing in Swiss Creek but not much at the end of our winter season. Similarly, higher up, the water is sparse. Thankfully, still some at the Campground where we even got new faucets from Park management.


2 miles away, a few drops still flowing from the pipe on Waterwheel Trail:

My favorite trail section, a section offering a shade tunnel all year around (sorry for the bumpy ride, the clip can be used to promote video stabilizers...):

And, after my own pounding running downhill, a sense of the silence we enjoy on these trails (push the volume up! ;-)  ):

A vulture having some business on the side of the trail...



On my way down, I spotted the first poppies of the season. While Wikipedia talks about a blooming season from February to September, I doubt I've seen poppies that early in this area.


A view of Apple Park in Cupertino, from Montebello Road:

Last but not least, never leaving home for 50K without my Vespa Power!


And last week, in addition to the Ukrainians, I was also in spirit with the more than 500 Way Too Cool runners! (


Here is a flyover of my 2nd 50K courtesy of Relive.cc (click on the picture or this link):


I realize this post isn't as captivating as a race report could be but I want to believe that, in 10 or 20 years maybe, it will provide useful memories when looking at the effect of global warming and droughts. For instance, I had pleasure finding and reading this description of Montebello Road from 10 years ago, and seeing pictures of the full reservoir. My post of April 2019 also shows a full reservoir not that long ago.

I have to admit it, I'm really struggling letting go and have faith in our future. I'm so frustrated with the mistakes I see us, humans, doing despite all the knowledge we have at our finger tips today. From internal politics at work to trashing our only livable planet and now, reenacting world wars... Dang!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jean. It brings back some very fond memories. I hope that one day I can get back to those beautiful trails. I also hope that the war in Ukraine can come to a quick end. I worry about my colleagues in Kharkiv.

Best wishes, Craig Heinselman