Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Running: my genesis

As a first post, better start with the roots of my running experience.

August 1998: my family and I decided to take on the opportunity to move to California, initially for two years. We settled in Cupertino, CA in the Fall and that is when I realized I thought I was runner, but wasn't really one actually.

In middle school in France, I ran for two cross-country seasons when I was 11 and 12, the real muddy, short-distance and jammed/competitive races, and didn't really like it. As far as remember, I had hard time keeping up with my younger brother as we were competing in the same league. Fortunately, both of us then switched to soccer with much more success, and enjoyment.

My next serious running episode was in college where I focused on the 800-meter distance. I thought it was getting serious back then with 1 to 2 training sessions a week. Seeing how much work my sons put in cross country and track & field, I realize how my PR is so meaningless with such little training back then: 2'07". Anyway, I also came to realization that, being 5'5", I wasn't of the right format to compete on the track anyway.

From 1987, when I started with ILOG, to 1998, when I moved to California, my family and friends were considering me as a runner. One run a week, and a 8-miler was my very long run. I ran my first 10-miler in 1991, with sore muscles for the next 4 days. And first half-marathon in Paris in March 1998, 1:34:30 plus 4'30" to cross the start line, in the middle of a 20,000-runner pack!

So, when I claim I started running in the Fall of 1998, I mean running seriously. That is, 4 to 6 times a week and with a serious and clear goal in mind: running my first marathon by the end of my 2-year stay in the US. Definitely crossing the line between jogging and running.

Here we are, fast forwarding to 2007: I've now run 100 races, including 18 marathons and a handful of ultras. Placed in many of them, including top 10 Masters at Boston 2005, and top 3 Masters at the International 20K of Paris. I did get my lows and bad days as well, it's hard to be consistent when you are pushing the envelope.

So here is the brief genesis of my running history. More details to come in this new blog about these many miles in the back mirror already, and ahead, hopefully!

All set to push the envelope, both farther, and faster!

3 comments:

Chihping Fu 傅治平 (超馬阿爸) said...

Hi Jean,

Congrats to your Blog. Have heard about you a lot lately - Firetrail, then HK50, Quad, Cool50, etc, but I was far behind you :) Glad to know your impressive performance - faster and farther.

You're from France, so maybe some day you'll tackle Tour du Mont Blanc.

Wish you have a successful year. See you soon in races.

Chihping

Jean Pommier said...

Thanks for the feedback, Chiping. The very first comment, quite special!

Yes, I surely plan on running the "ultra trail tour du Mont Blanc" at some point (www.ultratrailmb.com). I even have local running buddies interested in setting an expedition up there for August 2008. In case you are interested too.

And see you no later than Saturday at Ruth Anderson!

Jean.

PS: nice picture with your kids from the HK finish. I'll have a look to your blogs.

Chihping Fu 傅治平 (超馬阿爸) said...

Tour du Mont Blanc is one of my dream races, but I may do it a few years after 2008. I would like to focus on some Ultra Slams in 2008 since I'll be in WS100.

I've never been to other countries except USA and Taiwan :-) Visting Europe will be an exciting thing.

Not sure what distance you'll run in RA, but I believe you'll lap me a few times when I am struggling in 100K :-)

See you at Ruth Anderson and good luck.

Chihping